Skip to Main Content
Sources of Background Information
Background information can be found in:
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
- article databases
Purpose of Background Research
Once you have identified some keywords, the next step is to find background information on your topic. Background research:
- Provides a good overview of the topic if you are unfamiliar with it.
- Helps identify important facts -- terminology, dates, events, history, organizations, etc.
- Can help refine your topic.
- Leads to bibliographies which provide additional sources of information.
Ukiah Campus: 707.468.3053 | Coast Center: 707.961.2200 | Lake Center: 707.263.4944 | North County Center: 707.459.6224
Email: Library Webmaster | Mendocino Community College
Powered by Springshare. Login to LibApps