Skip to Main Content
The Research Assignment - Define the Task
Before selecting a topic or starting your research, make sure you understand your assignment. Consider:
- Have you been assigned a topic or can you pick your own?
- How many pages/words do you need to write? How long is your presentation?
- Do you need to include specific types of sources (e.g. scholarly journal, book, etc.)?
- When is the assignment due? How much time do you have to research?
- Is currency of information important?
When in doubt, consult with your instructor.
Can’t think of a topic to research?
- Check out the library's Social Issues Resources database (SIRS), available here.
- Click on "View all Issues" to search through hundreds of topics.
- Discuss topics with your instructor, a librarian or a classmate.
Choose a topic that interests you and will hold your attention. If you do, the research will be more enjoyable!
Picking your Topic is Research
Ukiah Campus: 707.468.3053 | Coast Center: 707.961.2200 | Lake Center: 707.263.4944 | North County Center: 707.459.6224
Email: Library Webmaster | Mendocino Community College
Powered by Springshare. Login to LibApps